Tuesday, November 3, 2009

But that was popular in like 2002...

It is probably bad luck to start off my blog in complaining mode but this thought is in the front of my mind....oh well.
What is it with women and bags? Now I understand the convenience of being able to carry so many useful things around, a luxury most men are not afforded. I also understand we can't walk around with a potato sack with straps and call it a day. But girls...seriously? My claim to designer heaven is two Coach bags, both of which were gifts. So the other day I was at school (Adelphi for those who dont know) and I decided to bring my purse since I don't use it that much. I walk into the library, sit down and get down to the fun task of sorting journal articles. I began to hear this high pitched snickering that reminded me of the gasping sound my friend's old chihuahua made while it was terminally ill. Being quite sure there were no small yippy dogs in the library I look up to see two undergrads laughing...at my purse. So I said " Is there something funny I don't know about?" The one girl said " Umm no but like, people shouldn't carry around designer bags if they're not in the right season." Right season? Excuse me did I just leave the NY and land in the United States of Bimbocracy? Instead of saying that, the socially molded part of my prefrontal cortex came out with " And what, exactly, is in season?". Looking like she was teaching a kindergartner the alphabet she said " THIS season is all about the Birkin bags. Coach is just BEYOND out right now." Uh huh. Well let me alert the media. EXCUSE ME EVERYBODY COACH BAGS ARE TERMINALLY OUT OF STYLE. We all need to go buy a $15,000 Birkin bag in order to make ourselves feel like we are worth something. Lets all spend thousands of dollars on a chunk of material with straps used to hold OTHER objects all intended to make your life more comfortable and convenient. I didn't even say anything...I didn't need to. The vapid wasteland that once might have been meaningful intellect in this girls head would have sucked my words up and vaporized them into Chanel No. 5.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that actually happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither could I,I never thought people like that existed.

    ReplyDelete